We love having Reading Family Aid as part of our Connect Reading community. Ruth Perkins, Chair of Reading Family Aid, took some time to tell us a bit more about the charity and their passion for bringing joy to children in Reading.
A little about Reading Family Aid and the amazing work they do:
- Our mission is to put a smile on the faces of disadvantaged children in the Reading area.
- Our aim is to bring a little joy into the lives of children and families living with poverty, physical, mental, sexual, alcohol and drug abuse, illness, disability, homelessness or refugee status.
- We work through schools, social workers, health visitors, places of worship and other charities and charitable organisations.
- We distribute toys at Christmas to children aged 0-16 through our Toys & Teens Appeal.
- Where our funds permit, we also provide outings throughout the year for children and their families who couldn’t afford to go otherwise. These may be to a theme park, the seaside, a zoo or a farm park; they may also be to local activity centres and adventure playgrounds, theatres and cinemas.
Why did you join Connect Reading?
We have long had connections to businesses and other charities in the town and this seemed like an excellent way of expanding that network, to make ourselves more well known which may lead to additional support and to being able to provide support to additional families through other charities.